The Mines and Geosciences Bureau (MGB) has temporarily suspended the exploration permit of Woggle Corporation in Dupax del Norte, Nueva Vizcaya. The primary reason being force majeure because of sustained community opposition and safety concerns in the area.
According to a report by the Inquirer, the MGB ordered the immediate suspension of Exploration Permit No. EP000030II via a two-page letter dated February 5 and addressed to the company’s president . The bureau said barricades along access roads have prevented the orderly conduct of exploration activities, which constitute force majeure under Republic Act No. 7942, or the Philippine Mining Act of 1995.
“In view thereof, this Office finds that the prevailing situation in certain areas of the Municipality of Dupax del Norte constitutes force majeure as defined in the Mining Act,” the letter read. “In the interest of public safety and the maintenance of peace and order, and pursuant to the regulatory authority vested in the Mines and Geosciences Bureau, this Office hereby temporarily suspends the Exploration Permit No. EP000030II of Woggle, effective immediately.”
The MGB explained that the suspension does not mean a cancellation and will remain active until the force majeure conditions have ceased. Woggle has been directed to “immediately cease and desist from all exploration activities” within the permit area during the suspension period and to rehabilitate any disturbed environment in accordance with environmental requirements.
Tensions in the area escalated following the burning of a heavy wheel excavator owned by Woggle in December in sitio Upper Tacbao, Bitnong. Authorities earlier reported continued anti-mining protests and the presence of barricades, despite an earlier court order directing the removal of physical and human blockades.
In response, Woggle Corporation questioned the legal basis of the suspension. In a statement, the company stressed that its exploration permit was validly issued and that it had not violated any of its terms.
“If the suspension is premised on the existence of illegal barricades, political agitation or disruptions caused by third parties, Woggle respectfully submits that these circumstances do not justify penalizing the lawful permit holder,” the company said. It pointed to the fact that a court had previously declared the barricades illegal and issued a writ of preliminary injunction.
The firm also warned that suspending a government-issued permit due to these external factors could set back regulatory and investor confidence in the sector. It cautioned that more than 1,200 employees and contractors hired by its operations in the province could be affected by a prolonged suspension and concluded that it will look into legal remedies for the situation.
An exploration permit allows a company to conduct preliminary studies and assessments to determine mineral potential prior to full-scale mining development. While the MGB emphasized that the suspension is temporary, the invocation of force majeure introduces legal and regulatory complexity amid ongoing community tension.
Will the suspension remain a short-term regulatory measure, or escalate into a broader review of Woggle’s permit in Nueva Vizcaya?
Follow Ang Minero on Facebook and LinkedIn for more updates.












